Since I can remember, barbecues in the sun have been accompanied by a sweet, crunchy refreshing salad. But this Asian inspired creation trumps them all, for me at least! My family were a little sceptical about fruit in this, but I soon prooved them wrong!
I really love how vibrant all the colours are, and although I have never been a fan of spring onion it really does taste great! The acidity of the sauce and sweetnees of the apple just works so well, even if it does sound a little strange at times
For this super side dish you will need:
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3 Spring onions, sliced
- 1/4 Red cabbage, shredded
- 1 apple, finely sliced
- Zest and juice of one large lime
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce – I used tamari which is a wheat free alternative
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
To create it:
- Prep all the veg, making sure all the pieces aren’t too big, throw them in to a large serving bowl. Slice the apple as fine as possible and stir them in.
- In a small bowl or jug, add the liquid ingredients together and whisk thoroughly
- Mix the dressing into the large bowl, before finally adding in the zest of the lime and bring everything together.
- Serve and enjoy… Try adding roasted peanuts or sesame seeds for a more nutty flavour, but it’s perfectly tasty on its own too! It’s really that simple, but so delicious. Approved by all my family too, which is a very hard task!
I love this refreshing salad with barbecued courgettes, aubergines or other vegetables, a yoghurt dressing, a pitta bread and topped with some juicy pomegranate seeds!
Let me know if you try this out on Instagram @laura_elfes, or Twitter and Facebook @courgettiblog Thank you for reading x