As a Nutella lover from an early age, only recently have I realised that I can recreate my favourite childhood food (Yes I ate it by the spoonful) in a healthier way. No additives, nor added sugar, just sticky, nutty, chocolate-y galore. And yes, it’s better than Nutella, if you like extra nuts that is!
Not only have I created a 4 ingredient chocolate hazelnut spread, but an orange & chocolate chip version AND my personal favourite – a coffee flavoured variety.
- 200g Hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 dates, you don’t need medjool dates as the mixture is sticky enough! You could use 2 tbsp natural sweetener instead if you like
- 2-6 tbsp boiling water
Orange chocolate chip extras:
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs or (vegan) chocolate chips
Coffee flavoured extras:
- Espresso shot, if you don’t have a coffee machine like me, I used 1 teaspoon of coffee granules and added hot water till just dissolved forming a strong coffee solution
How to create this decadent spread:
- Turn on your oven to 180°c or 350°F. On a tray lay out your hazelnuts and place in the oven for ten minutes, or until the skins are darker. Once out the oven, as soon as you can hold them, rub off the shells with your hands. This may take a while, but personally I find it fun and it works out a lot cheaper!
- Add your no skin hazelnuts to a food processor and blend till you reach ‘nut butter consistency’. This can take up to 15 minutes, depending on the power of your machine. Once you think you are there, process it for another minute, just to reach perfection!
- Next add in the cacao, and dates with 2 tbsp of water, and blend to see the results!
- Once all these ingredients are thoroughly mixed, you have your basic (and delicious) chocolate hazelnut spread.
- To make the orange version, add in the zest and a little more water and pulse through. Stir in the chips and add to a clean jar.
- To create the incredible coffee chocolate hazelnut galore. Add in the coffee a couple of tablespoons at a time, and blend till completely mixed in. Don’t let it become too runny as it running off your toast would be an incredibly sad moment!
- Serve! I love to have mine on a piece of warmed rye bread, drizzled over ice-cream, as a fruit dip or just off the spoon!
I really hope you give at least one of my Chocolate Hazelnut sauces a try, as they really are worth it! Let me know on Instagram @laura_elfes, Twitter and Facebook @courgettiblog or use the hashtag #courgettiblogetti so I can see how you get on!