21 sleeps, the tree is up and advent has begun. What else to bake but gingerbread?
To create the quickest, easy and vegan recipe I chose to make a small amount of mixture which made around 20 biscuits. You will need:
- 40g soft brown sugar (coconut sugar would work here)
- 95g plain flour (white or wholemeal)
- 20g coconut oil
- 40g golden syrup
- 1-2 tbsp milk (I used almond but any would work)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to fan 160°c.
- Melt the coconut oil in a bowl in the microwave or over boiling water on the hob.
- Stir all the dry ingredient in a large bowl, once combined add the golden syrup and melted coconut oil. Stir thoroughly and add the milk if it is not binding well.
- Bring the dough together with you hands and transfer onto a lightly floured surface, roll to your desired thickness – the thicker the biscuit the softer the bake. I rolled mine to around half a centimetre.
- Cut out into Christmas shapes and transfer onto a lined baking tray.
- Place in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until slightly golden at the edges.
- Transfer to a cooling rack once cool enough to touch and leave to completely cool (if you can wait that long!!).
- You could decorate them with a mix of icing sugar and water but I love mine plain dipped in a cup of tea next to the fire.